I suppose it’s about time that I update on what’s been going on with the Harmony.
I’ve resisted posting or checking in since I got it a week and a half ago, because I had problems with my Harmony from the moment I had it in my hands. Secondly, I was not happy with Advanced Bionics and the response I got with them when we called them about the problem, and their attempt to pass the blame onto the consumer. I didn’t want to post when I was still mad about it, since the tongue is sharper.
When the Harmony compatibility list was first announced, they said that all Auria parts would be compatible with the Harmony, with the exception of a few parts. That wasn’t the case with mine.
I put the T-mic on my new Harmony, and it wouldn’t stay on. Finally, we were able to get the earhook to stay on and proceed with programming the Harmony. We follow all the steps for the initial programming of it, and then it was time for the moment that Mandy had been waiting for. She clicks the box for “Fidelity 120” and then turns it on. It doesn’t work, as the computer immediately shuts down the live speech with the Harmony.
Puzzled, we go through the process several times, and check the guide to figure out what was going on. Finally, we take a totally different approach, and then it worked.
The cool part was that after I got my first program up and running, I got to take the wheel, and program myself. This came as a response to my comment “it would be cool if I knew how to program myself, cuz then I could spend hours and hours tinkering with my hearing to find the perfect program.”
Anyway, I didn’t notice any change with the Harmony, except that it was louder overall, and voices sounded totally different, more distorted and bass-sounding. I wasn’t thrilled, but I knew that it would take time to get used to. I didn’t have that *WOW* moment, like I did with activation, so I’m glad I didn’t get excited over it.
After programming was completed, I removed the programming boot, and attached the battery to the processor and put it on my ear. The whole thing fell apart in my hands: processor, earhook, and battery. I noticed the battery was extremely loose and didn’t fit in the Harmony, like it did with the Auria.
I had an extra battery with me, the 8-hour battery that I never use, since I hate changing batteries in the middle of the day. I tried that one, and it fell off too.
Mandy called AB to see what was up with the batteries, and the response we got from them was “Call your insurance company about buying a replacement battery. They’re too old.”
I thought this was total BS, because all of my batteries didn’t fit in the Harmony, and since I had one that was relatively brand new compared to the other ones. Secondly, the 8-hour ones I rarely use, also didn’t fit, and there was no way they could claim that it was a “wear-and-tear” issue. And lastly, they fit just fine in the Auria. I have no problems whatsoever with the batteries in the Auria, and the claims that all Auria products would be compatible with the Harmony, were false.
The interesting thing was that the response we got from AB, clearly indicated that this is not the first time that they have heard of this issue with the Harmony.
What made me upset with AB was that the response I got from them, and the fact that they were attempting to blame it on the consumers. I don’t think the responsibility should be the consumers, when it clearly is a design issue of theirs, and they need to take responsibility for it. I understand if it’s just one battery, but if it’s all four, then that’s not right.
That’s it for now. Check the next post for more on this story (plus pictures and video of the activation plus the battery falling off, which I will attempt to upload to the website.)