Had my appointment with Catherine today. And we came up with a plan of action.
- Borrow the battery from them, to see if it reduces the itching/redness, and if it’s my batteries that are causing the problem.
- If that doesn’t work, try out a body processor.
So that’s where we started. We went into the CI booth, plugged me into the computer, with the intention of changing my MAPs because I cannot handle the intensity of the old MAPs after a year of inactivity.
So here I am, hooked up to the computer, watching the screen, and the first thing I see is red over the internal part. Everything was recognized and green, except for the internal implant. Checked it again, made sure everything was connected properly. No luck.
It was time to call Advanced Bionics for troubleshooting. Catherine found the “dummy” internal parts, and tried it with their processor. Everything worked.
I held my breath. This was not looking good.
We took my processor and attached it to to the dummy. It worked.
I started to cry.
Crying because my internal processor wasn’t working. Crying because at the thought of having to go through a third surgery in less than 3 years. Crying because maybe that’s why my CI wasn’t working back in January.
Catherine picked it up to take it off, and then the computer recognized the internal part! It was a loose wire.
Talk about a heart-stopping moment. A huge sigh of relief.
So now I’m sent home with MAPs that are more than 100 points below where I was, and with my IDR reduced to 60 from 75. One has Fidelity 120,and the other doesn’t. I’m going to try both, as Mandy said in her last notes that I may do better without Fidelity 120.
30 minutes into wearing the CI, my ear was red and itching, and Catherine confirmed it by seeing that there was a red spot where the CI was. So now it’s time to find a solution.
It’s amazing how quick the brain adapts to using a CI after not wearing it for so long. I’m missing it…..and feel like I’m re-experiencing activation day all over again…in the sense that I’m discovering sounds that my hearing aid definitely did not pick up on.